Gladys Bailin is a retired Director Emerita and Distinguished Professor of Dance at Ohio University. Meeting and training with Alwin Nikolais beginning in 1948 at the Henry Street Playhouse in New York City, Gladys began a career in dance which has continued for many subsequent decades. From 1955-65, she performed with the Nikolais company originating many principal roles in signature Nikolais works, choreographed solos and group works, and taught at the school. She also performed with Murray Louis Dance Co. and toured with both companies nationally and internationally. In the mid 60's, she was invited to teach at the New York University School of the Arts (now known as Tisch) while also performing with Don Redlich and company. In 1972, she left NYC for a teaching position in Athens Ohio, to help develop the dance program at Ohio University. She served as the Director of the School of Dance from 1983-1995 and currently teaches Dance Composition on a part-time basis. Professor Bailin holds a BA in Liberal Arts and a Minor in Music History from Hunter College in NYC.
Gladys Bailin brings over 60 years of experience and historical relevance as a professional dancer, choreographer, and dance educator to Ohio, having worked with such noted dance artists as Alwin Nikolais, Murray Louis, and Don Redlich. It is through teaching dance at the Henry Street Playhouse that Gladys met the renowned, now Ohio-based choreographer, Bebe Miller as a child. Her contributions to the dance program at Ohio University has distinguished it as one of only a few Modern Dance based programs in the state of Ohio with Choreography as its central focus. Professor Bailin has helped make our program strong, diverse in its curriculum, and viable for a broad range of students. She is the recipient of numerous awards, grants, and honors including commissions for her choreography and awards from the National Endowment for Arts. She was also named Distinguished Professor and Professor Emerita at Ohio University. Additionally, she has served on panels for the Ohio Arts Council, Canada Council and as a NASD (National Association of Schools of Dance) onsite evaluator for many university dance programs and institutions seeking accreditation. She remains active in the Athens community as a board member of the Friends of the Kennedy Museum of Art, having served as its President for five years.
- Faculty, Henry Street Playhouse, NYC.
- Member of the Alwin Nikolais Dance Co.; performed extensively during regular NY season, as well as national and European tours.
- Member of the Murray Louis Dance Co.
- Member of the Don Redlich Dance Co. Represented the USA at the Paris International Dance Festival in November 1969.
- Performed as a freelance soloist and choreographed own works.
- Faculty, Nikolais/Louis Dance Theater Lab in NY.
- Master Teacher, New York University, School of the Arts.
- Conducted summer workshops and residencies in the United States, Canada, England, France and Hong Kong.
- Professor, Ohio University, School of Dance.
- Distinguished Professor of Dance, Ohio University.
- Ohio Dance Award for the Advancement of the Art Form.