About the Virtual Dance Collection
The OhioDance Virtual Dance Collection was unveiled on April 29, 2017, featuring significant developments that have formed the unique dance history of Ohio. The collection contains excerpts of 30 interviews, historical timelines, archival film and photo selections as well as full interview transcripts available to the public domain. The interactive website provides educational content and historical context for a deeper understanding of dance.
- January 2014-July 2015: Phase 1 - Project Ideation
- Phase 1 defined the VDC and its importance as a powerful resource for Ohio’s dance history. The first regional roundtable was held at our 2015 festival. A mock website was created.
- July 2015-June 2016: Phase 2 - Project Community Engagement
- Phase 2 included facilitating six additional regional roundtables with key dance stakeholders to identify suggested pivotal dance performances/moments. These created a template for determining what dance legacy Ohio wants to share for future generations.
- Regional Roundtable Discussions:
- Ohio University, Athens, OH
2015 OhioDance Fall Festival and Conference
October 24, 2015
- Oberlin College, Warner Main Space, Oberlin OH
November 4, 2015
Master Class with Oberlin Dance Collective (ODC)
Panel Discussion with ODC Artistic Director Brenda Way, OhioDance Virtual Dance Collection with Candace Feck oral historian.
ODC Evening Performance
- University of Dayton, @ARTSTREET, Dayton, OH
December 1, 2015
- Ohio Northern University, Ada, OH
January 30, 2016
- Kenyon College, Kenyon, OH
February 11, 2016
9:40am - 11:00am
- Ohio University, Athens, OH
- July 2016: Phase 3 - Project Implementation
- Phase 3 A call for nominations was sent out to the field. Ten statewide were selected by a panel of adjudicators. The team traveled 1600 miles and interviewed 30 individuals in 10 locations throughout Ohio. The team collected excerpts from 28 hours of interview footage, historical timelines, archival film and photo selections as well as full interview transcripts. The launch of the VDC was held at the 2017 festival at BalletMet. This allowed the general public to hear the history of how the project was developed. The unveiling included dance performance by some of the selected dance artists. Five new histories will be added in 2018
Virtual Dance Collection Workshops: Using the site as source material, the team has developed ongoing educational activities, including statewide school residencies that introduce the research to Ohio’s school population.
Documentary film: is being created based on the first 10 discrete histories as they were captured for the original phase of the archive and will draw connections among them into a unified narrative of Ohio’s distinguished dance field.
The Virtual Dance Collection (VDC) Team
- M. Candace Feck
- VDC Oral Historian
- Faculty Emerita in Dance, The Ohio State University
- B.A. Cultural Anthropology; M.A. in Dance;
- Ph.D. Art Education
- Jessica Cavender
- VDC Media Manager
- B.S. Electronic Media Communications
- M.F.A. Dance and Technology, The Ohio State University
- Megan Davis Bushway
- VDC and OhioDance videographer
- B.A. Art Therapy & Dance, Springfield College
- M.F.A. Dance, The Ohio State University
- Patrick Tabatcher
- VDC and OhioDance Webmaster
- Sr. Multimedia Producer, The University of Akron
- B.A. Graphic Design; M.A. Communications, The University of Akron
- Jane D’Angelo
- OhioDance Executive Director; VDC Project Director
- B.S. Business Administration, Northeastern University
- CSS Administration & Management, Harvard University